Wicker rocking chair, painted brown, with a heart-shaped back. The heart is crowned by a ball, and is composed of four layers: an outer border of curlicues, a "solid" border made of wicker wrapped around cane, a ball and chain border, and a woven center. The rest of the chair is decorated with loose wicker tendrils, including the space below each arm, below the heart, and between two of the three segments of each leg. The seat comprises traditional hole-to-hole caning, and the front apron of the chair is decorated with a centered ball and chain border.
In the O. Henry Museum Inventory notebook (1935-1951), p.15, the curator (Cornelia Smith) wrote, "Rocking (Fiber) chair used by O. Henry." There is another entry underneath with quotation marks, which denotes that there were two identical chairs donated. The second chair was donated with a cushion, which was not described. Since the donor was not named, the provenance of both chairs is uncertain.